Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: 604H (GPA Series II) and Super Tweeter?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member baja's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 30th, 2008
    Posts
    53
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    604H (GPA Series II) and Super Tweeter?

    hi,
    after I've seen the latest 604 based version of jean hiraga, adding a jbl 2402h super tweeter, I'm wondering about the effects.
    did someone ever tried the 604H in combination with a super tweeter?
    next to the jbl tweeters the townshend tweeters look quite interesting, because it's possible to match them without crossover.
    supertweeter
    thanks for suggestions ...

  2. #2
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Re: 604H (GPA Series II) and Super Tweeter?

    With the 604-8H-III, you don't need one...
    Todd W. White, Owner & Webmaster
    Altec Lansing's (unofficial) Homepage

  3. #3
    Inactive Member stéphane Rame's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 29th, 2008
    Location
    France
    Posts
    72
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 604H (GPA Series II) and Super Tweeter?

    "hi,
    after I've seen the latest 604 based version of jean hiraga, adding a jbl 2402h super tweeter, I'm wondering about the effects.
    did someone ever tried the 604H in combination with a super tweeter?
    next to the jbl tweeters the townshend tweeters look quite interesting, because it's possible to match them without crossover.
    supertweeter
    thanks for suggestions ... "

    Pics
    P1010528.JPG (image)
    P1010529.JPG (image)

    St?phane

  4. #4
    Inactive Member baja's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 30th, 2008
    Posts
    53
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 604H (GPA Series II) and Super Tweeter?

    @ todd: yes - somehow I expected this answer ... but this was my decision to go for the series II and not III. although it might by physically absurd, but I fell in love with this in-between 'modern' and 'vintage' sonic of the 604h series II. also the series III won't be a match with my 612b enclosures (not only because the horn jut out a little bit more ...)
    however I'm curious about what a super tweeter could add to the 604(h).

    @ st?phane: thanks for the images - I've seen that hiraga used both a fostex and a jbl tweeter at on the munich fair. at 6moons he added only the jbl tweeter.
    could you report about how it sound?

    thanks.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member speakerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 28th, 2004
    Posts
    154
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: 604H (GPA Series II) and Super Tweeter?

    As I remember the 6 moons article, without going back and rereading, Hiraga was still using the two tweeters, but he had brought his speakers to the reviewer's home and did not have the front-firing tweeters with him for some reason. He uses the JBL 2402 facing backward, for ambience, perhaps, or to balance the HF hotspot the front-firing tweeter would create.

    Having tried similar things, I would say the front-firing super tweeter adds "air" to the top end and may sharpen the image, separate the instruments, expand the sound stage somewhat, whereas the rear-firing diffuses it (perhaps could be labeled the Bose effect). As I recall the article, Hiraga didn't do much explaining about it all. Satisfactory results may require some extensive messing around with levels, crossover points and slopes, and aiming (considering reflecting surfaces). I never did any of this using the 604, so what effect it would have on the point-source quality, which is the raison d'etre of the coaxial format, I couldn't say.

    Strictly speculation, but my guess is these measures are taken in anticipation of an expected criticism of the HF roll-off in the 604 format. For my money, the effort might better be put into creating a coaxial with a 1" beryllium compression driver, the ne plus ultra of mid/hi CD's that can rock without a supertweeter.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.